North Carolina Life Insurance Pre-Licensing
This online life insurance pre-licensing course is approved by the North Carolina Department of Insurance. Anyone wishing to work in the life insurance field must take this course, with the following exemptions:
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC)
- Holder of a degree in insurance (associate or bachelor's)
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
- Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow (LUTCF)
- Fellow Life Management Institute (FLMI)
The course follows all of the guidelines set forth by the Department of Insurance, and covers all of the material that will be on the state licensing exam. Those topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Basic Principles of Life Insurance and The Insurance Industry
- Life Insurance Policies, Provisions, Options, and Riders
- Life Insurance Premiums, Proceeds, and Beneficiaries
- Life Insurance Underwriting and Policy Issue
- North Carolina Statutes and Regulations
The course is 20 hours and we've designed it to be easy to follow, presenting the information clearly as well as providing hints throughout to help you understand the concepts.
The final exam has 150 multiple choice questions. To pass, you will need to correctly answer 70% of the questions, or 105 of them, in the allotted time. If you do not pass, you can take the test again, as many times as you need to in order to pass.
Once you pass the test, you will receive a Certificate of Completion available for immediate download, which also acts as an Exam Admission Ticket.
State Insurance License Exam
You need to take your Admission Ticket to the testing site when you sit for the state licensing exam. It is valid for up to 90 days and up to 5 attempts on the exam. If you do not pass the state exam within 90 days or on one of your first 5 attempts, you will need to retake the pre-licensing course and receive a new Exam Admission Ticket. The state exam is 75 minutes (1 hour, 15 minutes) long.
To sit for the state exam, you will need to make a reservation. To do so, visit www.pearsonvue.com and select "Make an Exam Reservation". Once you pass the state licensing exam, you must complete an electronic application at www.nipr.com.